MULTIPLE DENTAL IMPLANT
A dental implant provides several advantages over other tooth replacement options.
In addition to looking and functioning like natural teeth, dental implants can replace multiple teeth (or even an entire arch) without sacrificing the health and structure of remaining teeth.
Advantages of multiple dental implants include:
- one implant can support more than one tooth (e.g. 2 implants can support 3-4 teeth usually, or a whole arch on 4-6 implants)
- looks like natural teeth
- fixed in the jaw, no need to remove and not mobile like dentures
- no hooks on nearby teeth
- no need to cut nearby teeth like for a dental bridge
- will not decay like natural teeth
Disadvantages of multiple dental implants include:
- cost increases depending on the number of implants and teeth required
- gum/bone disease can still occur around implants
- implant components can still chip or break if overloaded (e.g. grinding/clenching, trauma)
- requires more effort brushing and flossing at home
- still needs to be checked and cleaned by qualified professionals on a regular basis (e.g. yearly)
- teeth may need to be removed for cleaning every 1-2 years
The process of having a multiple implants generally consists of several steps over a 3-6 month period as described below:
1. Consultation + x-ray assessment of all potential implant sites - all associated procedures and risks will be discussed including a printed quote covering all costs involved.
2. Implant surgery (may include additional procedures including bone grafting or sinus lift) - usually done in a pain-free manner under local anaesthetic in the dental chair. Length of procedure will be determined by the number of implants needed ranging between 1 to 3 hours usually.
3. Healing period of 3-6 months - time needed for implant to integrate into the jaw bone before it can be used for function. If 4 or more implants are placed to replace a full arch then they may be used immediated after surgery. We will schedule review appointments during this time to check the healing process.
4. Implant bridge fabrication - implant bridges will be custom made by our local certified dental laboratory to ensure the correct colour and shape is achieved. This process if more involved than the standard single unit and may take up to 4 weeks.
5. Maintenance and follow-ups - implants should be reviewed at least on a yearly basis along with the rest of the mouth at routine dental checkups.